KBS Fire Stop Sealbags
Refer to our downloads page for complete technical information.
KBS fire stop sealbags are installed in cable penetration seals, where frequent retrofitting of new cables is expected or where dust-free fire protection and prevention are requested (e.g. telephone exchanges, pilot plants, computer rooms, etc.).
KBS Seal Bags Fire Protection Application Video
(Windows Media Video- File size: 4.6MB)
See demonstration video »
KBS fire stop sealbags are pillows consisting of tightly woven, durable fibre-glass cloth filled with a combination of mineral fibres, incombustible components, water-insoluble expansion agents and special fire retardant additives.
These fire stop sealbags meet the UL standard for passive fire protection. KBS Sealbags are totally water- and weather-resistant, and retain their properties and effectiveness in all weather, temperature, and atmospheric conditions. KBS fire stop sealbags contain neither asbestos nor any other toxic substance.
KBS Sealbags maintain their volume constancy. Since the bags do not sag, (even after many years of exposure to industrial vibrations) an absolutely tight penetration seal can be maintained (official report for 7 years vibration test available).
KBS fire stop sealbags are easily installed in floor penetrations
KBS Sealbags are "dustproof" for use in telephone exchanges, computer rooms etc. Our fire stop Sealbags have a high electric resistance and are not current conductive, if kept in dry conditions.
KBS Sealbags are easily installed and just as easily removed for retrofitting.
KBS Sealbags are tested internationally (see list of reports and approvals) with 18 cm and 34 cm sealing thickness providing up to 4 hours fire resistance. They are FM- and UL-listed.
KBS fire stop sealbags supplied in various sizes for different applications
How they react in fire:
- At approx.130°C the various components of the bags start gluing up and sticking together, preventing the fillers from running out, even if the wrap is damaged by mechanical impact.
- At approx. 280°C the content begins to expand up to 40%, so that even the smallest remaining spaces between cables, trays and masonry are tightly closed.
- At approx. 800°C a "ceramic reaction" causes the content to harden into a solid block. The seal becomes mechanically so strong that it will withstand mechanical damage caused by falling debris etc. or a hose stream from fire fighters.
Uses of KBS Sealbags:
- KBS Sealbags are used to provide permanent or temporary fire stops for electrical cables. They are especially suited where frequent cable changes are expected and are also ideally suited to provide fire protection during the construction phase of a project.
- KBS Sealbags are also used to seal bare or insulated bus bars penetrating walls or floors. For bare bus bars an additional wrapping with an electrical insulating tape is recommended.
- KBS fire stop Sealbags provide smoke-gastight penetration seals where cold smoke from a distant fire will not pass through and in case of a nearby fire any gaseous extinguishing agents (used in computer rooms etc) will keep their extinguishing concentration.
- KBS Sealbags are ideal for the protection of cables in double floors of processing centres.
- KBS fire stop Sealbags may also be used to cover cables in trays as protection against fire from sources such as welding.
- KBS Sealbags come in various sizes so as to allow the sealing of even the smallest openings.
KBS Sealbags Video Demonstration